Sunday, July 28, 2013

New Castle Adventures

Our group has moved!! We left Anna Bay to get back to our CVA house in New Castle. New Castle is a great city. Its mainly based on coal mining with one of the largest coal exporting ports in the world. Lots of industry and lots of beauty as well. Its really strange to see how the two mesh in one place. But here they have really cool beaches and shops and its a real urban area. This week we've been going out to a place called Ash Island to get rid of some of the invasive mangrove trees that reside there. Its some pretty hard work and the gear I have to wear looks pretty ridiculous. It was really hot today. Sooooo now for a little recap. we had some free days in new castle after we left anna bay which was fun I spent a lot of the days just walking around and talking to locals, finding out more about this city. Also one of the free days we went to a nature reserve called BlackButt and had a koala encounter which was awesome. The male was very angry and bit the handler so he got us the female which had a little baby with it!! such a great experience, they are a lot fluffier than I thought they would be. Another thing I didn't realize was how expensive everything here is!! Its like every meal turns out to be $20 :| and there aren't fast food places everywhere where I can get food for cheap. I've only seen like 3 McDonalds a KFC and a pizza hut. but I guess that's a good thing :P Im starting to get really homesick! its been especially hard because I don't have wifi all the time and when I do get wifi everyone at home is asleep. Like right now its 4:30pm here but 2am back in wisco and 3am for my mom in NC. Sucks. But when I do get wifi its good. Missing everyone though! But im at a library where they only let you use the wifi for an hour so I've got to jet! hopefully will be back on tomorrow evening. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment